Organization Details:[ View Opportunities ]
Boys & Girls Clubs Of Kentuckiana
|Last updated on June 26, 2015|
Our mission is to inspire and enable all young people, especially those most in need of our services, to realize and develop their full potential as productive, responsible and caring citizens.
A Metro United Way agency, Boys & Girls Clubs of Kentuckiana operates five Clubs in the Louisville and Southern Indiana communities, serving nearly 4000 youth a year. Core program areas focus on character and leadership development, health and life skills, education, art and sports and fitness. In addition, Boys & Girls Clubs of Kentuckiana operates Kids Cafes in each of its Clubs in partnership with the Dare to Care Foodbank, serving dinner daily. In 2013 we served 74,566 meals. On average 110 kids are attending the clubs daily receiving quality out of school time programs and activities.
Boys & Girls Clubs of Kentuckiana offers young people a safe, positive environment where there are adults who care about them and who serve as role models. Club programs are developed to provide youth with a sense of usefulness, competence, belonging and influence—assets they need to become responsible, caring and productive members of society.
In 1950 members of the East End Optimist Club undertook the construction of the East End Boys Club on land belonging to the City of Louisville board of Parks Commissioners located at 1519 Story Avenue. The club was to primarily serve boys living in the Point neighborhood of east Louisville. These youth were by and large from poor families and juvenile delinquency was a severe problem in the neighborhood. The original building was constructed by many of the East End Optimist Club members who were contractors or tradesmen. The Optimists sought professional help in dealing with the neighborhood boys. They turned to Major William Kiefer of the City of Louisville Police Department Youth Bureau and to Mr. Charles Dilbowski who was then the person in charge of youth appearing before Juvenile Court. The Club became an immediate success. Juvenile delinquency began to decline. As the Club grew, the Optimists saw the need to incorporate this program as a separate non-profit entity in the State of Kentucky. In 1959 the East End Boys Club, Inc. was incorporated as a separate entity by the members of the East End Optimist Club. The Club was also chartered that year by Boys Clubs of America. The new entity became a member of the Community Chest, the predecessor to the present Metro United Way. The East End Optimist Club was later merged into the Downtown Optimist Club of Louisville. The ByLaws of the East End Boys Club provided for the Optimist Club President and the Vice President for Youth Services to be Ex-Officio Members of the Board of Directors. In 1978, the Board of Directors of the East End Boys Club embarked on a $360,000 Capital Campaign to construct a much needed addition of approximately 6,000 sq. ft. to the original structure. The Capital Campaign exceeded its goal and the new addition was completed and dedicated in 1980.
The Optimist Club has continued its involvement with the organization over these many years. Many members of the organization's Board of Directors were, and still are, members of the Optimist Club of Louisville. Each year at Christmas time the Optimist club and its members come together to raise money and conduct a Christmas party for hundreds of the organization's club members. The Optimist Club also sponsors annually the Tri-Star Basketball Contest during the winter months. Each year they recognize a youth from each of the clubs and present them with a savings bond. As you can easily see, the Optimist Club of Louisville has and continues to be a significant and important supporter of Boys & Girls Clubs of Kentuckiana.
Office fax number:
Web Site: http://www.bgckyana.org
||3900 Crittenden Drive
Louisville, KY 40209
(See a map)
|Last updated on June 26, 2015|
Be the first person to offer feedback on this organization!
Post a volunteer reflection to share your experiences with other volunteers!