|Last updated on August 23, 2013|
The Salvation Army, an international movement, is an evangelical part of the universal Christian Church. Its message is based on the Bible. Its ministry is motivated by the love of God. Its mission is to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ and to meet human needs in His name without discrimination.
The Salvation Army MS Gulf Coast Area Command serves George, Hancock, Harrison, Jackson, Pearl River, and Stone Counties.
Since 1907 The Salvation Army has helped Southern Mississippians weather the storms of life brought on by World War I, The Great Depression, World War II, The Korean War, The Vietnam War, Desert Storm and the Iraq War. The soldiers, friends and volunteers of The Salvation Army have held up and served while others broke down from the hardships of hurricanes like Camille, Georges, and Katrina. They have been there daily for those in crisis from domestic violence, homelessness, and poverty, loss of jobs and family illnesses and deaths.
MS GULF COAST HISTORY: The Salvation Army Gulfport Corps officially opened in January 1907 with Captain and Mrs. A. Belcher. The Corps has continually served the Gulfport, Harrison County, Stone County, Hancock County, and Pearl River County communities with character building programs, worship opportunities and vital social service programs since that date. The current Corps Officer is Lt. James Dillingham.
The spirit and vitality of The Salvation Army expressed itself with positive growth along the coast and in March 1966 The Salvation Army Corps in Pascagoula opened under the leadership of Lt. David Bates. The Pascagoula Corps has persevered through good times and hard times offering hope and help to the needy, the hungry, the homeless, the cold and the forgotten. Lt. Jerry and Jennifer Williams are the current Corps Officers. They are true to the mission of The Salvation Army and energetically share the love of Jesus with everyone they meet.
Five short years later The Biloxi Corps was established under the command of Lt. Benjamin Valdez in February 1971. The Biloxi Corps served Biloxi, Wool Market and D'Iberville from that date until it merged with the Gulfport Corps to become the Harrison County Corps in June 2006.
The Salvation Army formed The Mississippi Gulf Coast Area Command in June 2006 under the leadership of Majors Rob and Janine Vincent who came to the coast to help with disaster recovery following Hurricane Katrina. In June 2009 command passed to Majors Alan and Belinda Hill who now serve the entire lower six counties of Southern Mississippi as Area Commanders.
Today we celebrate 100 years of service to South Mississippi with two active Corps (Churches), an active Bible Study outreach, three social service offices, three food pantries, two family stores, a shelter, and a domestic violence shelter.
Plans for future service on the Mississippi Gulf Coast are exciting as we anticipate a new Transitional Housing Facility in Gulfport, upgrading our Transitional Housing Facility in Pascagoula and a Family Store system to serve all six counties with affordable clothing and home furnishings and as an important support mechanism to our social service programs.
Contact person: Zach Rhodes, Volunteer Coordinator, (phone), (email)
Main office number
: (228) 374-8301Office fax number:
Web Site: http://www.salvationarmymscoast.com
||2019 22nd Street
Gulfport, MS 39501
(See a map)
|Last updated on August 23, 2013|