Cleveland Sight Center
|Last updated on December 28, 2016|
To empower people with vision loss to realize their full potential, and to shape the community's vision of that potential.”
Cleveland Sight Center is a multi-faceted nonprofit agency founded in 1906 serving people of all ages who are blind or visually impaired. We provide preventative, educational, rehabilitative, and many other vision support services directly to approximately 10,000 clients in the greater Cleveland area each year. Through community outreach and our radio-reading service, that number increases significantly. We are accredited by CARF, the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities.
In addition to our educational and rehabilitative programs, we have a Low Vision Clinic, offer a wide array of social and recreational activities, and have a residential camp, Highbrook Lodge, in Chardon. Our comprehensive services are available to residents of Cuyahoga, Lake, and Geauga counties, with onsite services available to anyone who can travel to Cleveland Sight Center’s University Circle location.
Cleveland Sight Center values an individual’s right to lead as full and meaningful a life as he or she desires, regardless of impairment level. Our programs are designed to encourage clients to remove boundaries and achieve their goals. More than 100 specially trained staff members, including social workers, optometrists, certified vision rehabilitation therapists, orientation and mobility instructors, occupational therapists, educators, nurses, and other professionals work to help individuals with vision loss learn, work, play and live more safely and independently. Our dedicated volunteers make a significant difference in our achievements every day.
Cleveland Sight Center was founded in 1906 by seven volunteers dedicated to creating opportunities for persons with impaired vision to lead rich lives, full of achievement. The agency has pioneered many programs that have become national models, earning it the reputation as a leader among agencies serving blind and visually impaired persons. Our continuum of services addresses such diverse needs as developmental training for parents of children with vision loss and in-home rehabilitation training for seniors, making Cleveland Sight Center one of the most comprehensive private agencies serving those with visual impairments in the United States.
In 1909, with the cooperation of the Cleveland Board of Education, the agency initiated day school classes for children who were blind. In 1922, Cleveland Sight Center (then Cleveland Society for the Blind) opened the first concession stand operated by a visually disabled individual. This program became the model for similar programs currently operating in all 50 states. Highbrook Lodge in Geauga County became the first camp in the nation dedicated to serving blind persons when it opened in 1928. Each summer approximately 400 campers learn and grow while enjoying the outdoors and the fun activities of residential camping.
When it opened in 1984, the nationally acclaimed STORER Computer Access Center expanded educational and employment opportunities for those with reduced vision through the use of adaptive software and other assistive technology. Cleveland Sight Center’s current initiatives include a short-term counseling program for clients experiencing depression due to vision loss and the Share the Vision service through which we help clients having difficulty adjusting to vision loss find support with peers who have made a successful transition.
Today, nearly 150 specially trained staff members and more than 1600 dedicated volunteers provide programs designed to help individuals of all ages with vision impairment learn, work, play and live independently.
Contact person: Melissa Bresnahan, Volunteer Manager, (phone), (email)
Main office number
: (216) 791-8118Office fax number:
Web Site: http://www.clevelandsightcenter.org
||1909 East 101st Street
Cleveland, OH 44106
(See a map)
|| Nearest Metro/Subway Stop: University Circle,
Walk distance (in minutes): 15 min
Nearest Bus Stop: 6, 48, 5 min minute walk
|Last updated on December 28, 2016|