Agency Details:[ View Opportunities ]
ArtWorks For Milwaukee, Inc.
|Last updated on May 20, 2013|
A significant portion of Milwaukee’s teens are not being adequately prepared to successfully transition out of high school and into becoming productive contributors to our communities. At the same time, Milwaukee businesses continually express their need for a workforce that can come to the job and demonstrate basic employability skills that will contribute to the organization’s success.
ArtWorks is trying to help be a part of the solution by offering teens the opportunity to participate in a paid, art-based internship program that will help them develop employability skills.
ArtWorks exclusively targets teens that already face barriers to employment:
● Teens that underperform in High School - Students have low GPAs and/or may drop out, despite having the capacity to graduate. We teach them that earning a high school diploma is crucial to building a future of success.
● Teens with disabilities - Teens that face inherent barriers due to misperceptions about their abilities. We help our Interns to overcome these barriers.
● Teens that lack community connections - These young people, through no fault of their own, lack access to employment networks needed for success. We provide our Interns mentoring opportunities with ArtWorks’ staff, Lead Artists, and volunteer Career Coaches that can open doors for them and increase their chances of future success.
Our approach Inspires Creative Change within the individual that leads to a manifestation of positive and productive vitality that is released into the community.
What makes ArtWorks Different?
● Our interns earn a paycheck, which starts them on the path of self-reliance
● Our interns receive professional career coaching
● Our interns are held accountable & go through realistic job situations (interview, performance evaluations, work in teams, can receive a letter of recommendation)
● We focus on teens that might not necessarily be picked for other programs
ArtWorks for Milwaukee, Inc. is a 501(c)3 nonprofit that provides paid, arts-based internships to Milwaukee-area high school students. Interns use a variety of arts techniques to learn viable life and career skills. The program exposes interns to realistic workplace expectations, processes, and procedures.
MISSION: Inspiring local teens to create positive change in their lives and in our community.
● Engaging teens in the arts empowers them to successfully achieve their goals and believe in themselves
● Teaching life and career skills creates marketable teens and prepares them for future success
● Broadening the perspectives of ArtWorks Interns motivates them to make a difference
VISION: A community that is sustained by creative, motivated teens who positively contribute to our thriving city.
Main office number
||Terry Murphy, Executive Director, (414) 708-9996, (email)
Vanessa LaCoste, Vice President, (630) 709-5699, (email)
: (414) 708-9996Office fax number:
Web Site: http://www.artworksformilwaukee.org
||706 S. 5th Street
Milwaukee, WI 53204
(See a map)
|Is this a Global Youth Service Day Opportunity?
|Last updated on May 20, 2013|
Be the first person to offer feedback on this agency!
Post a volunteer reflection to share your experiences with other volunteers!