Americorps* VISTA Needed at United Way for Southeastern Michigan in Volunteer Services to support the Team Leader Pilot program.
Americorps*VISTA members create or expand programs designed to bring individuals and communities out of poverty. The VISTA member will work with the Volunteer Services department at United Way for Southeastern Michigan and provide leadership in building community relationships, researching, assessing and improving the process for ongoing recruitment, training, and support of the Team Leader Pilot program to enhance the quality and quantity of volunteer opportunities in southeastern Michigan.
DEADLINE: 5:00 p.m. on September 25, 2009.
Education: Bachelors degree in related field.
Experience: Knowledge of the nonprofit community
· Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills
· Proficiency withMicrosoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Internet usage.
· Moderate to high computer skills required.
· Must be able to function independently.
· Must have excellent organizational skills and be extremely detail-oriented.
· Must have excellent leadership and interpersonal skills.
· Great decision-making and critical thinking skills.
· Knowledge of group work and group dynamics.
· Ability to build relationships with others.
· Ability to plan and organize medium to large scale events.
Other: 18 years or older
Job Description Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide leadership in researching, assessing and improving the process for ongoing recruitment, training, and support of the Team Leader Pilot Cohort.
- Research Team Leader models and best practices.
- Develop Pilot Team Leader program to help build capacity to develop and execute volunteer projects to serve community members of various demographics around the Agenda for Change focus areas of Financial Stability, Educational Preparedness, and Basic Needs.
- Launch the 2009-2010 Team Leader pilot to promote effective partnerships with local nonprofits and provide an opportunity for various demographics to serve.
- Work in partnership with City Year in thedevelopment of a training module for the ongoing skill development and training for Team Leaders.
- Establish skills that are needed for Team Leaders and develop an entry skill level assessment tool with City Year in order to make sure Team Leaders have the ability to provide leadership in coordinating service initiatives and connecting community members.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Join a national movement towards civic engagement and service.
- Receive an annual living allowance $9,696-$10,596
- Receive an education award of $4,725 or end-of-service stipend of $1,200 upon completion of 12 months of service.
- Student loan forbearance
- Health Benefits
- Childcare assistance subsidies (if applicable)
- Professional Development including: grant writing, public speaking, volunteer management, leadership skills.
Resumes are due by close of business on September 25, 2009.