Volunteer Opportunity Details:
|Last updated on May 9, 2013
Operation Read is a reading program currently conducted at 11 after-school sites and at 4 preschool programs in Iowa & Illinois with the goal of increasing students' enjoyment of reading. A individual or a team of 2-8 volunteers (led by a "team captain") pick a month at the site of their choice, read to a group of children and complete an activity that relates to the book. The book and activity are chosen by the volunteer lead. At the end of each month, books are provided to the volunteers from United Way to hand out to the kids to take home with them!
Preschool Sites (sites done year round):
After-school sites(September-November, January-April):
- Scott County Family YMCA- Davenport- Fridays 9:30 a.m.
- Scott County Family YMCA- Davenport- Wednesdays 3:30 p.m.
- Skip-A-Long- Rock Island- Tuesdays 9:30 a.m.
- Skip-A-Long- Rock Island- Thursdays 3:30 p.m.
- YWCA of the Quad Cities- Rock Island- Mondays 3:30 p.m.
- Aldridge Early Learning Center- East Moline- Tuesdays 3:30 p.m.
What is the time commitment if I were to volunteer?
- Garfield School in Moline- Fridays at 3:30
- Denkmann School in Rock Island- Fridays at 3:30
- Rock Island Academy in Rock Island- Mondays at 4:15
- Earl Hanson School in Rock Island- Wednesdays at 2:30
- Hillcrest School in East Moline- Fridays at 3:30
- Lincoln Irving School in Moline- Fridays at 3:30
- Willard School in Moline- Wednesdays at 3:30
- Center for Math & Science in Rock Island- Wednesdays at 3:30
- YMCA in Davenport- Wednesdays at 3:30
- Center for Alcohol & Drug Services in Davenport- Wednesdays at 3:30
- Paul Norton School in Bettendorf- Thursdays at 3:30
One month for 30-45 minutes per week at either a morning or afternoon session during the week.
What would my responsibility be if I decided to take on a site as "team captain" for a month?