VIP Manager Corps: Extra Help to Engage More Volunteers in Your Mission!
20 King County organizations will receive a free part-time volunteer manager! The United Way VIP Manager Corps provides organizations with a specially trained, part-time (~10 hours a week) Pro Bono Volunteer Manager to help you build your new volunteer program or enhance an existing program. This program, a partnership between United Way of King County and 501 Commons places a pro bono volunteer with your organization for about 10 months to:
- Assess your volunteer management needs
- Implement specific projects that will build or enhance your program
- Evaluate projects and ensure their sustainability
Pro Bono Volunteer Managers will be used in addition to current volunteer engagement efforts to result in additional benefit, not as a replacement of current staff work.
Our goal is that among the 20 participating organizations, more than 1,000 new volunteers will be deployed including 50 new skills-based volunteers. Volunteers can be either one-time or longer-term volunteers.
We will ask you to report the number of volunteers, number of volunteer hours and number of new volunteer positions created, and the impact of those volunteers on your mission/service levels.
Who is eligible?
The VIP Manager Corps is designed for human services organizations within King County with a strong commitment to engaging and supporting volunteers. The program is free. Eligible organizations will have the following:
- A 501(c)(3) or fiscally sponsored organization
- At least a two-year operating history.
- An active board that meets regularly.
- A minimum annual budget of $100,000.
- A physical location in King County. Organizations in the Kent, South and North King County area are encouraged to apply.
Organizations that are a good fit will generally have the following already in place:
- At least one paid staff (preferred) OR volunteer staff that have managed delivery of complex projects/programs and grants.
- A workspace that the Pro Bono Volunteer Manager can use for at least 10 hours a week preferred) OR remote access to staff, documents, and other resources the Pro Bono Volunteer Manager will need.
- Community members that are already helping deliver services or a volunteer program. If your organization does not currently have a volunteer program but is committed to using the VIP Manager Corps program to launch one, please provide us with information that demonstrates why you are ready to develop a successful program.
Getting started. Please prepare the following before applying:
- Select who among your staff will supervise the Pro Bono Volunteer Manager.
- Decide what results you want to achieve from participating in VIP Manager Corps (you will need to describe these on your application).
- Do you already have a volunteer that you want to be your Pro Bono Volunteer Manager? They can receive training, support, and a $1200 United Way Service Award while they serve your organization. Learn more about how to volunteer here.
- Organizations involved in VIP Manager Corps can also take advantage of the free VIP 360 program. VIP 360 provides a comprehensive road map to improving your volunteer engagement through training, assessment, 1:1 consultants and peer learning.
To participate in VIP 360 the organization must meet the requirements of that program, including having at least three people involved. (One of the three can be the Pro Bono Volunteer Manager). Please see the VIP 360 page for more information about participation requirements.
- Recruitment for 2013 begins in November 2012. Only 20 organizations will be accepted. Don't delay!
- Email Carolyn Cunningham to schedule a screening call by January 7, 2013, to see if the VIP Manager Corps is a good fit for your organization.
- Complete the brief application form provided after the screening call, and return it by the enrollment deadline: January 15, 2013.
Learn more about the Volunteer Impact Partnership here.
Questions? Interested in volunteering individually as a Pro Bono Volunteer Manager, or know someone who would be great in this role? Email Laura Ciotti.
Contact United Way of King County
The inclusion of any organization or person in this database does not constitute a representation, warranty, or endorsement with respect to the competence, suitability, or reliability of such organization or person by United Way of King County; nor does United Way of King County sponsor or endorse any third-party web site. Legal Notices