Organization - Home Sweet Home Ministries. Inc.
Organization Details:[ View Opportunities ]
Home Sweet Home Ministries. Inc.
|Last updated on January 2, 2013|
Home Sweet Home Ministries serves Christ by providing food, shelter and hope to the hungry, homeless and hurting.
Committed to God. We believe that our very best to others can come about only as we give to God our very best, that is, the daily offering to Him of our lives.
Accountable to God and Man. We believe that one day we shall all give an account of ourselves to God as stewards of that which He has entrusted to us. We further believe that God has given to us the responsibility for meeting the needs of others as His emissaries. Our faithfulness in service to those we're called to help and to those who provide the financial means for our services is a reflection of our faithful service to God.
Here to Serve Our Clients. We believe that through serving the poor and distressed, we offer service to God. We strive to honor God in the way we care for others.
Committed to Excellence. We believe that our Christian testimony is mirrored in the quality of all we do. There can be no higher challenge than found in I Cor. 10:31: "Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." A commitment to excellence shall permeate all our actions and decisions.
Committed to Each Other. We believe that we and our fellow employees are of infinite value to God. We will therefore encourage each other as members of a body committed to making a difference.
Committed to Integrity. We believe that our calling commits us to conduct our lives and our business in a manner that applies only the highest standards of ethics and legality. We will not seek immediate gain by compromising the truth.
▪ Home Sweet Home Ministries was founded in 1917 in Bloomington, Ill. by Billy Shelper, a local businessman and former alcoholic.
▪ Home Sweet Home served over 96,000 meals in 2010.
▪ In 2010, Home Sweet Home provided over 30,400 nights of shelter.
▪ Emergency Services and other life transformational programming is operated from the Billy Shelper Center at 303 E. Oakland Avenue in Bloomington, Ill., These programs, ranging from overnight to several months, provide case management services, residential services, daily meals, recovery referral, vocational training, child care, family, and aftercare services.
▪ The Threshold program helps adults overcome chronic barriers to independent living through: GED certification, college prep, career planning, personal and spiritual counseling, bible-based guidance and instruction, life-skills training and addiction recovery.
▪ Home Sweet Home provides food boxes to low income individuals and also fulfills singular requests for clothing, food and toiletry items.
▪ Home Sweet Home operates the Mission Mart Thrift stores.100% of net proceeds from the stores benefit the people served by Home Sweet Home Ministries. Each store provides thousands of items free of charge each year to individuals, with a documented need, who cannot afford to pay. For more information, please visit www.missionmart.org.
Office fax number:
Web Site: http://www.hshministries.org
||303 E. Oakland Avenue
Bloomington, IL 61701
(See a map)
||Located on the corner of Gridley and Oakland.
Nearest Bus Stop: Corner of Gridley, 2 minute walk
|Last updated on January 2, 2013|
Be the first person to offer feedback on this organization!
Post a volunteer reflection
to share your experiences with other volunteers!
The inclusion of any organization or person in this database does not constitute a representation, warranty, or endorsement with respect to the competence, suitability, or reliability of such organization or person by United Way of McLean County; nor does United Way of McLean County sponsor or endorse any third-party web site.