Organization Details:[ View Opportunities ]
Cyber Cafe @ Malden Square
|Last updated on July 31, 2014|
The Mission of CTAC and the Cyber Café @ Malden Square is to help lessen the local Digital Divide and the social exclusion that can result by:
- providing lower income, minority, disabled, and elderly community residents with access to computers and information technology,
- offering an entry point for people to gain IT proficiency, and
- promoting social interaction and increased community connectedness and involvement.
The Cyber Café @ Malden Square was formed and is operated by the Community Technology Access Coalition (CTAC). The Cyber Café was formed to help people left behind by the Digital Divide—the gap that separates people with access to and skill with current technology from those without such access and skill. CTAC fulfills its mission primarily by providing free computer and Internet access to the community. CTAC envisions people of all backgrounds and economic levels using the Cyber Café, but the special focus is on those individuals who cannot afford the training or equipment on their own.
The goals that support the Mission of the Cyber Café @ Malden Square are to provide:
- technology access to the community, especially residents who do not have ready access or are unskilled in its use;
- an informal, non-threatening, welcoming environment to help overcome the fear sometimes associated with technology and encourage continued growth;
- an opportunity for social interaction through technology and the Cyber Café environment to reduce the isolation and social exclusion that often accompany poverty, ethnic/linguistic differences, age, and/or disability;
- various forms of instruction to increase technological competencies; and
- pre-employment services to interested patrons
Formed and opened in 2001, the Cyber Cafe is a low-cost membership organization that welcomes all, regardless of ability or income (some scholarships available). In addition to computer and Internet access, the Cyber Cafe offers low-cost computer training, online resources and job postings, free coffee and tea, and is 99% volunteer staffed. We have served more than 7,000 individuals in 11 years of operation and provide an essential connection to family and friends for many people who would otherwise have difficulty maintaining contact with home.
We also offer free tax return preparation to the low-income community, as an IRS VITA Site. All of our volunteers are required to submit to a CORI review and to provide references before working at the Cyber Cafe.
Office fax number: (781) 397-2339
||110 Pleasant Street
Malden, MA 02148
(See a map)
Web Site: http://maldensquare.org
||Directions are available on the Cyber Cafe (host) website, http://maldensquare.org
Nearest Metro/Subway Stop: Malden Center Station (Orange Line),
Walk distance (in minutes): 5
Nearest Bus Stop: Malden Center, 5 minute walk
|What is the type of this organization?
501(c)(3) Nonprofit Organization
|Does the agency conduct CORI checks?
|Last updated on July 31, 2014|
Be the first person to offer feedback on this organization!
Post a volunteer reflection to share your experiences with other volunteers!