Lancaster Public Library
|Last updated on April 18, 2013|
The Lancaster Public Library is a 501 (C)(3) Not-For-Profit agency representing a 14 municipality service area. It provides public access to a variety of services, programs and information resources to enhance individual knowledge, community enrichment and economic vitality. The Library currently has 75,000 card holders reflecting an increase of 10 per cent over 2009.
The Lancaster Public Library offers the most free services by any Lancaster County non-profit. With 470,245 patron visits recorded in 2010, it offered over 800 programs for children and youth and adults and provided 103,262 hours(3,404,540 minutes) of free Internet access to community residents, answered 25,430 reference questions. The Duke Street Business Center assisted 1400 businesses in 2010 .The Library provides over 300,000 books , periodicals, DVDs, CDs, Audiobooks and Kindles as well as materials for children and adults in fourteen world languages. Unique in the U.S. is the Autism Resource Center opening in 2010. The Center provides a welcoming environment for individuals with Autism, their teachers, families and support specialists. Hundreds of print, audio and video materials as well as computers and Boardmaker software are available.
The Lancaster Library Company was formed and in 1759. In 1763, the name changed to the Juliana Library Company in honor of Lady Juliana Penn, daughter of the the Earl of Pomfret and wife of William Penn's son Thomas. Juliana Penn donated money and books to the Borough of Lancaster for the establishment of a library consistent with Benjamin Franklin's emphasis on the necessity of establishing libraries for public access to information as a public good.
Over the next 250 years, library service evolved in Lancaster County. From the Juliana Library came the Mechanics Society Library whose focus was providing primarily technical information to area tradesmen. Local lawyer A. Herr Smith bequeathed his home at 125 N. Duke Street to the library in 1903. The A.Herr Smith Library served the community until 1953 when the new Lancaster County Free Public Library was opened on the same site with private funds. The old library and buildings on either side were demolished to make way for the new and current Lancaster Public Library. The cornerstone of the new library was laid on May 17,1953. Recognizing the value that strong public libraries have in communities public funding was provided and helped the library grow over the years with the establishment of branches throughout Lancaster County.
Today, the Lancaster Public Library consists of the Duke Street(main)library with branches in LPL East-Leola Branch and LPL West-Mountivlle Branch. These sites provide direct library service to approximately 40 per cent of Lancaster County's population in fourteen municipalities. It also serves as State designated Library Center providing interlibrary loan and reference service to its service area.
Contact person: Anna Thomas, Volunteer Manager, (phone), (email)
Office fax number:
Web Site: http://www.lancaster.lib.pa.us
||125 N. Duke Street
Lancaster, PA 17602
(See a map)
||The Lancaster Public Library is located at 125 N. Duke Street near the intersection of Duke and Chestnut Steet in Lancaster City. There is a parking lot located at the back of the library. Proceed on Chestnut Street and cross the intersection of Duke and Chestnut. Turn right at the next alley called Cherry Street and then left into the library parking lot where meters are provided.
Nearest Bus Stop: Chestnut Street, 2 minutes minute walk
|Last updated on April 18, 2013|