Volunteer Opportunity Details:
Hogar Immigrant Services, an immigrant assistance program of Catholic Charities of the Diocese of Arlington, is seeking volunteer ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Languages) and Citizenship Preparation teachers for the upcoming spring semester in Falls Church and Woodbridge (Citizenship only) and Manassas (ESOL only).
QUALIFICATIONS• Ability to speak, write and read fluent English
• Ability to observe and enforce Hogar volunteer policies and procedures (e.g. no children in the classroom)
• A desire to help and serve others as a consistent, dependable teacher
RESPONSIBILITIES• Give advance notice of absence(s) to your coordinator. Secure a substitute, if possible.
• Participate in registration (optional but very helpful to Hogar staff!).
• Follow the supplied curriculum.
• Prepare a lesson for class.
• Keep attendance records.
• Ensure classrooms are left clean and in the condition they were in at the beginning of the class.
• Be punctual and professional in class.
• One school year commitment (usually two semesters)
• Attend a minimum of 10 hours of training provided by Hogar Immigrant Services (including one session prior to teaching: ESOL Boot Camp) within the first year of service
• Two hours a week teaching and one hour a week developing a lesson plan
• Attend scheduled teacher meetings as necessary
BENEFITS• Appreciation from students
• Insight into other cultures
• Personal growth through service
• Valuable professional experience
• Meeting/sharing/working with other volunteers
This opportunity is sponsored by: Hogar Immigrant Services (former Hogar Hispano Catholic Charities)
Web Site: http://www.hogarimmigrantservices.org/
Have you volunteered with this opportunity? Log your hours online
Be the first person to offer feedback on this organization!
Post a volunteer reflection to share your experiences with other volunteers!
The inclusion of any organization or person in this database does not constitute a representation, warranty, or endorsement with respect to the competence, suitability, or reliability of such organization or person by Volunteer Arlington; nor does Volunteer Arlington sponsor or endorse any third-party web site. Legal Notices
2100 Washington Blvd
Arlington, Virginia 22204
TEL (703) 228-1760
TTY (703) 228-1398
FAX (703) 228-1013
EMAIL volunteer (at) arlingtonva.us
AN AFFILIATE OF